The Singer 2259 Tradition Easy-to-Use Free-Arm 19-Stitch Sewing Machine is simple to use, performs well, and packs a wallop when it comes to its features. Novice or professional, this Singer model surpasses every sewer’s expectations, whether you want to start sewing as a hobby or want to create more sewing projects using more features.
You may have tried other sewing machine brands but none will be easier or most comfortable to use than the 2259, a two-time recipient of the Women’s Choice Award, especially if you are a beginner in sewing and completely clueless on how a sewing machine works. Even 12-year-olds will find the 2259 a breeze to operate. Read on to have an idea how this Singer model works.
Features of the Singer 2259
This Singer model has a plethora of features, some of which are truly noteworthy.
With a solid interior structure and heavy duty-strength metal frame, the 2259’s mechanisms are all well aligned to eliminate skips in sewing. Its thread tension can only be described as excellent because of the accuracy of the stitches made by an automatic system regardless of the kind of fabric being sewn. While this feature is helpful for the beginner, the seasoned sewer may want to override the tension’s pre-setting.
The user has 19 stitches to choose from, with the basic, decorative, and stretch stitches all built-in. The zigzag widths and stitch lengths can both be adjusted for strengthening seams and prevent fabric bunching. The 2259 has multiple positions for its needles designed for topstitching, cording, and inserting zippers, among other tasks. You can also easily do alterations of clothes or home décor with all of these stitches.
The Singer Tradition 2259 is capable of automatic buttonholing in just four easy steps. Equipped with presser feet that are snapped on and stitch threading that is selection-automatic, the user won’t need any more tools to sew quickly. If bobbin winding has always been your problem, the 2259 not only makes it easier but safer for you by doing it automatically, disengaging the needle while the bobbin is winding.
Other useful features of the 2259 include:
- Variable stitch lengths.
- Presser foot can be lifted extra high for additional clearance when using bulky or multiple fabrics under it.
- Portability is provided by the carry handle for easy transport.
- Comes with an instructional DVD.
- With on-board storage for accessories.
- Online support is available from the official website any time.
- Equipped with free arm for more flexible sewing of collar, pant hems, cuffs, and other hard-to-reach sewing areas.
- Comes with a limited 25 year warranty inclusive of the machine’s head, two years on the machine’s electronic components, and three months (equivalent to 90 days) on any adjustments required.
- Built-in feed dog in a four-segment system to ensure fabric is not only picked up but supported from the presser foot’s front all the way to its rear.
- Social media support allows the user to connect and communicate with other sewers for valuable tips.
- Accessories include an instruction manual, lint brush, needles, Class 15 bobbins, a ripper for seams, foot pedal, an oil bottle, all-purpose sewing foot, power cord, button sewing foot, quilting guide, zipper foot, screwdriver, two holders for thread spool caps, and buttonhole foot.
- Snap-on presser feet make it convenient to change from one kind of foot to the next without even using the inclusive screwdriver.
- A selection of video tutorials on troubleshooting and maintenance, threading, and training on the use of the presser feet is available on YouTube.
Pros and Cons
Price is the main thing going for this model, probably one of the best finds in sewing machines in its class. The automatic feature of its bobbin winder is also a plus since it takes less time to do this otherwise laborious process. The options for stitches – all 19 of them, as mentioned – can do wonders for sewing garments, decorative items for the home, repairing hems and cuffs, doing crafts, and alterations on clothes.
The accessories that come with it are more than convenient, they are relevant to the variety of sewing that the user plans to do. And the on-board storage for these accessories keeps your sewing organized and neat. Even the beginning sewer will find it easier to navigate the 2259 and create projects with the assistance of the inclusive DVD and manual for instructions.
For beginners, the automatic reverse mechanism can be easily pushed and held to reinforce stitches by sewing them in reverse. Those who want to experiment can take advantage of the 2259’s capability to do 5mm widths of decorative or stitches that can be set. Even expert sewers will appreciate how the stitch tapers to the fabric’s center instead of either its right or left side when doing zigzag stitches.
Some customers reported that the needles inclusive with the purchase of the 2259 break easily. Others mentioned that the features of the 2259 are limited because although it has several features which are automatic, it is still a manual sewing machine and not a digital model; the more experienced seamstress should consider other Singer models for options if this is the case.
What Customers Say
The Singer 2259 was given an overall rating of 4.2 stars out of five by Amazon customer reviews. A total of 215 customers out of 385 gave the 2259 five stars, 103 gave it four, 21 gave it three, 11 gave the 2259 two stars, and 35 gave it one star. This is not to say that the 2259 is not a quality product when you consider that there are still more customers who reported their satisfaction with the product.
Notwithstanding its many features, the 2259 would be a good choice for sewers who are at the beginning and intermediate levels. Those who are advanced sewers may find that the 2259 does not meet their expectations, as mentioned in one of the “cons,’ because it is, after all, a manually-operated machine that may be fast enough for its class but not really for the kind of performance provided by digital models.
Still, having been awarded the Women’s Choice Award two years in a row – for 2013 and 2014 — this Singer Tradition Easy-to-Use Sewing Machine model should be considered by those who want to learn sewing and do not expect too much from a manually-operated sewing machine. Besides, you can always move on and get an upgrade after you have gained experience and pass this one along to someone else.